National Sports News

David Stern: Could’ve reworked CP3 deal, but Mitch Kupchak ‘panicked’

Former NBA commissioner David Stern, who infamously vetoed a proposed 2011 trade that would have sent All-Star point guard Chris Paul to the Los Angeles Lakers, said attempts to rework the deal at the time fell apart because then-Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak “panicked.” Appearing on the? “Nunyo & Company” podcast, which was released last week, Stern discussed the veto and how the three teams involved in the trade — the Lakers, the league-owned New Orleans Hornets and the Houston Rockets — attempted to renew talks. Stern had vetoed a trade would have sent Paul to the Lakers; Pau Gasol to the Rockets; and Kevin Martin, Luis Scola, Lamar Odom, Goran Dragic and a 2012 first-round pick to the Hornets. On the podcast, Stern said he felt the trade could have been reworked but said talks fell apart when Kupchak traded Odom days after the original deal was vetoed. “In the course of the weekend, we thought we could…

Read More

Yoenis Cespedes comes up sore in rehab game, out until at least Tuesday

New York Mets outfielder Yoenis Cespedes?experienced a setback in his first minor league rehab game Friday night and will be shut down until at least Tuesday, the Mets announced. Cespedes, who has been out since April 28 because of a left hamstring strain, felt soreness in his right quad while running the bases?for the Class A St. Lucie Mets, the team said. He finished 0-for-2 with a walk and a run scored and was replaced after playing six innings in left field. In a statement released by the Mets after Friday’s game, Cespedes said, “It was good to get back on the field today. It’s been really hard being away from the team. I look forward to hopefully getting back to New York soon.” Cespedes originally injured his hamstring against the Phillies on April 20, but the Mets chose not to immediately place him on the disabled list. He missed three games and then came back, but he reinjured the hamstring against the Braves on April 27. He has been on the DL…

Read More

Michael Vick hoping to officially retire as member of Falcons

Former NFL quarterback Michael Vick says he is in talks with the Atlanta Falcons to sign a one-day contract and officially retire with his first NFL team. “Hopefully soon,” Vick, 37, told CBS Atlanta about the potential of the ceremonial deal. Vick has not played in the league since 2015 and told ESPN’s Josina Anderson in February that he is retired. The Falcons made Vick the No. 1 overall pick in the 2001 draft. His tenure in Atlanta infamously ended when he was found guilty of dogfighting in 2007 and served 23 months in prison. The Falcons officially released him in 2009. Following his reinstatement to the NFL, Vick played five seasons for the Philadelphia Eagles, then one season each for the New York Jets and Pittsburgh Steelers.? Vick passed for 22,464 yards with 133 touchdowns and 88 interceptions in his career and also rushed for 6,109 yards and 36 touchdowns.

Read More